We ask that you read this Policy carefully as it contains important information about how we will use your personal data.
WHAT KIND OF PERSONAL DATA DO WE COLLECT?
- We collect personal data about you that you provide when you use the Platforms and/or Services, including when you sign up for an account, send us feedback, answer questionnaire and message or communicate with us. We also collect information about how you use the Platforms and/or Services including but not limited to usage data, demographic information, traffic sources, platform and browser types.
- If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on his/her behalf and has agreed that you can:
– give consent on his/her behalf to the processing of his/her personal data;
– receive on his/her behalf any privacy notice; and
– give consent to the transfer of his/her personal data abroad.
- Personal data that you post to public areas of the Platforms may become publicly available and is no longer considered personal data. For example, information you post in your profile or in ratings, endorsements, Q&A, or any other interactive areas may be made publicly available and can potentially be viewed by anyone. Your posting to such public areas of the Platforms constitutes consent to share such information publicly, and you should assume that such information will be widely disseminated, including via search engines and other tools to locate information online (e.g., Internet archive).
- By providing us with your personal data, you are consenting for us to collect and process your personal data in accordance with this Policy. You confirm that all your personal data is true, accurate and complete, and that none of the personal data provided is misleading or outdated. In the event of any change to your personal data, you will promptly update us.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
We will use your personal data for the purposes of helping us to provide and support the Platforms and/or Services to you. These purposes include:
- helping us identify you and any accounts you hold with us;
- administration including communicating with you;
- facilitating your use of the Platforms and/or Services;
- processing, administering and giving effect to, your requests or transactions;
- research, statistical analysis and behavioural analysis;
- customer profiling and analysing your payment preferences;
- marketing – see “marketing and opting out policy”, below;
- fraud prevention, investigation and detection;
- customising the Platforms and/or Services and its content to your particular preferences;
- notifying you of any changes to the Platforms and/or Services that may affect you;
- providing, improving and developing the Platforms and/or Services; and
- promoting safety and security on and off of the Platforms and/or Services.
WHAT IS OUR MARKETING AND OPTING OUT POLICY?
- If you have given us your permission, we may contact you by mail, telephone, SMS, text/picture/video message, email about our and our business partners’ products, services, promotions, special offers that may be of interest to you. We do not disclose, rent, sell or otherwise make available your personal data to third parties for direct marketing purposes. If you prefer not to receive any marketing communications from us, you can opt out at any time. See further “what are my rights”, below.
- You may select whether or not you wish to continue to receive newsletters or other communications. In addition, you may “opt out” of receiving any category of subscription, marketing or promotional email from CanLaw by following the unsubscribe instructions or using the unsubscribe links within the emails we send. Please note, however, that as long as you maintain an account, you may not “opt out” of receiving service or account-related emails from CanLaw.
HOW IS YOUR PERSONAL DATA SHARED?
We may disclose your personal data to:
- people you communicate with on the Platforms and/or Services;
- our vendors and suppliers who provide technical infrastructure services, analyse how the Platforms and/or Services are used, or provide customer service to you;
- our service providers who need access to your personal data to carry out their work for us. For example, credit card processing or verification companies to verify credit card information or your identity;
- our auditors, accountants, lawyers or other professional advisers and/or consultants on a need to know basis;
- law enforcement agencies in connection with any investigation;
- comply with court order or warrant; and/or
- our business partners in accordance with the “marketing and opting out” section above.
Your personal data may also be disclosed as part of any merger, acquisition, debt financing, sale of company assets, as well as in the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy or receivership in which personal data could be transferred to third parties as one of CanLaw’s business assets. In such an event, we will attempt to notify you before your personal data is transferred, but you may not have the right to opt out of any such transfer.
IS YOUR PERSONAL DATA SECURE ON OUR PLATFORMS?
We will use technical and organisational measures such as encryption, firewalls and secure socket layer technology to safeguard your personal data, for example:
- access to your account is controlled by a password and username that are unique to you; dan
- we store your personal data on secure servers.
While we will use all commercially reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal data, you acknowledge that the use of the Internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data that are transferred from you or to you via the Internet.
We disclaim all liability for the theft, loss, or interception of, or unauthorized access or damage to, your data, information, or communications resulting from your use of any aspect of the Platforms and/or Services. By using the Platforms and/or Services, you acknowledge and agree that you understand and assume these risks.
WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS?
You have a right, under the PDPA, to request access to, request for a copy of and to request a correction of the personal data and to contact us with any inquiries or complaints in respect of your personal data. Subject to our right to rely on any statutory exemptions and/or exceptions to collect, use and disclose your personal data, you have the right at any time to request us to limit the processing and use of your personal data, including for any form of direct marketing.
HOW TO CONTACT US WITH QUESTIONS?
- We welcome your feedback and questions. If you wish to contact us, please send an email to [email protected].
- We may change or update this Policy from time to time. You should check this Policy occasionally to ensure you are aware of the most recent version that will apply each time you access and/or use the Platforms and/or Services. If we amend this Policy, the amendment will not have any retrospective effect on personal data collected before the revised Policy.
- This Policy is issued in both English and Bahasa Malaysia. In the event of any inconsistencies or discrepancies between the English version and the Bahasa Malaysia version, the English version shall prevail.
Last Revised: 15 February 2017